Allergy prevention tips
What is allergy?
Allergies are an abnormal reaction of body to certain allergen (like dust, smoke, food or pollens) introduced by inhalation, ingestion or skin contact, often manifested by itchy eye, running nose, wheezing or skin rashes.
Some types of allergies are :
- Allergic Rhinitis
- Food Allergies
- Hay asthma
- uricaria (skin eruptions)
Avoiding your allergy triggers remains the best possible way to stay symptom-free, but eating a well-balanced diet can offer some allergy relief. An overall healthy diet is helpful for controlling all conditions, including allergies. The best way to prevent allergy symptoms is to manage your allergies before your body has a chance to respond to substances adversely.
Here are some tips which you can follow to prevent allergies :
- Have freshly-prepared, warm food.
- Avoid stale and junk food.
- Kapha-aggravating foods like dairy, wheat, sugar, potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, bananas, oranges and grapefruits should be avoided.
- Cover your nose in dusty or cold surroundings.
- Whenever you feel slight congestion, take a steam inhalation treatment.
- Avoid sleeping in the open and cover yourself properly before going to sleep.
- Stay indoors when pollen counts are high.
- Avoid exercising outdoors early in the morning.
- Take showers immediately after being outside.
- Keep your windows and doors shut as frequently as possible during allergy season.
- Try not to rake leaves or mow the lawn.
- Bathe your dog at least twice per week to minimize dander.
- Remove carpeting from your bedroom if you’re concerned about dust mites.
Sr. Homeopathic Physician